Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mothers Without Borders: June 2012

Some of the children served by previous Mothers Without Borders groups
As many of you know I've had the opportunity to be involved in various service projects and opportunities over the years. Everything ranging from planting sod, helping run bake sales, Make-A-Wish, to my experiences at Summer Jam. My list of big dreams has always included traveling to a foreign country and serving and I've decided that this year's the year I'm going to make that dream come true.

I recently applied for and was accepted to participate in a two-week volunteer program in Zambia, Africa.  I'm going to be working with a group by the name of Mother's Without Borders. Their mission is to nurture and care for orphaned and vulnerable children. They support local, community-based programs in Zambia that provide safe shelter, nutritious food, clean water, education, health care and vocational training.

I am beyond excited to go to Africa in June and have already begun counting down the days until I get to go! I can hardly wait to dance and play with the children, to teach the women, to hold the babies and to serve and spend time with the people of Zambia.

If you're interested you can learn more about the organization by visiting motherswithoutborders.org

The total cost for my volunteer expedition is about $5500. This cost includes flights, lodging, as well as funding scholarships so the children can go to school, providing foot-powered sewing machines to the women in the sewing club, and purchasing bricks to build a school and children’s hospice sanctuary at the Mothers Without Borders Children’s Village.

I've recently been trying to brainstorm ways I can get the people I know involved in helping bless the lives of the people I'm going to serve. I've come up with all sorts of ideas ranging from lemonade stands, photoshoots, and an outdoor movie night. I think I've settled on the likelihood of putting together a 2 mile fun run and bake sale here in the next month or two...so, get your running shoes out and start practicing.

For those of you who may be interested in just donating money there are two ways you can help support my work:
  1. Click here and fill out the online donation form
  2. Below is a jpg format of the donation form that you can click on, print out and mail to Mothers Without Borders with your donation.


If the fact that you're blessing the lives of African Children isn't rewarding enough, one additional bonus for donors is that Mothers Without Borders is a 501(c) 3 non-profit corporation, so your donation is tax-deductible and 100% of the money you donate goes directly to volunteer efforts and program supplies.

Even if you aren't in the position to donate - please check back periodically, and especially in June - I plan to do a full photo documentary of my experiences in Africa.

Look out Africa - I'm coming for a two week stay!!

*Images courtesy of motherswithoutborders.org

No comments: